We're working on 2017 information.
We're back at last year's location: The Albuquerque International Ballooon Museum. We're busy planning what should be the best Albuquerque Folk Festival yet, with camping and jamming Friday and Saturday nights, and entertainment, workshops, and dancing all day Saturday, June 3. As soon as we have final information, we'll put it up here. In the meantime, we've left the 2016 information up so you can get a feel for the fun you'll have at the Albuquerque Folk Festival.
The Folk Festival will run from 10:00 AM to 11:00 PM on Saturday, June 4 at the Albuquerque International Balloon Museum in Albuquerque.
If you want an overview of everything that's going on during the day, download a complete schedule as a PDF file. And if you want a more detailed preview, you can download our complete program as a PDF file.
Friday, June 3
- 3:00 PM - Free camping area opens
- 7:00 PM - Gates open for Ray Wylie Hubbard concert
- 7:30 PM - Abqfolkfest and AMP joint concert: Ray Wylie Hubbard. Tickets sold separately at the gate or on line. Check the AMP Concerts website for more details. Proceeds to support non-profit music organizations Abqfolkfest and AMP Concerts.
- Evening - Free camping and/or jamming at the campsite
Saturday, June 4
- 8:00 AM - Instrument Checkroom available
- 9:30 AM - Free Welcome Stage in front of the Museum and free interactive balloon display
- 10:00 AM - Gates open, arts and craft vendors and food vendors open
- 10:00 AM - Sandia Stage performance kicks off with the Duke City Swampcoolers
- 10:00 AM - Start signing up for the Band Scramble
- 10:00 AM - KUNM starts broadcasting live from the festival grounds
- 10:00 AM - Sunny Birklund and the Puppet Playhouse Giant Puppets start strolling the grounds, including free interaction in front of the Museum.
- 10:00 AM - Performances and signups start at the Sign-up Stage.
- 10:00 AM - Planet Music and New Mexico Music Guild's Musical Petting Zoo open
- 10:30 AM - All venues open
- 12:00 PM - Kids Showcase at the Sign-up Stage
- 12:00 PM - Beer sales start
- 3:45 PM - Final deadline for Band Scramble signup
- 4:15 PM - Band Scramble assignments announced
- 4:30 PM - Some venues close for Band Scramble practice
- 5:00 PM - Planet Music closes
- 5:30 PM - Band Scramble at the Jemez Stage
- 6:30 PM - Singalong at the Jemez Stage
- 7:30 PM - International Folk Dance with music by Rumelia begins in the Downstairs Dance area.
- 7:30 PM - FolkMADS Contra Dance with the Albuquerque Megaband and Lauren Soherr begins in the Upstairs Dance area.
- 9:00 PM - Last call to get your instruments from the instrument check room.
- 10:30 PM - Raffle drawing (hope you bought a bunch of tickets!)
- 11:00 PM - The party's over...until next year! (But they might still be jamming in the camping area!)
Sunday, June 7
- 2:00 PM - Free camping area closes
Many great performers are scheduled on three stages from 10:00 AM to 9:30 PM.
Back this year: Several performers are performing more than once, so you'll have more choice balancing all the other things there are to do at the Festival.
New this year: WeĠre staggering the schedule of the Sandia and Jemez Stages to allow even more flexibility in planning your day. The Sandia Stage will begin at 10 a.m. and run on the hour all day; the Jemez Stage will begin at 10:30, running on the half-hour. Now you can catch performances that might otherwise overlap!
In addition to the scheduled performances, the Sign-up Stage is returning this year. There'll be a new act every 45 minutes, starting at 10:00 am plus a special Kids Showcase starting at 12:00 pm.
Get moving with dance workshops in two venues plus two evening dances on Saturday night.
Jam With The Band!
Here’s where musicians can play or sing along with a few of our great bands. It’s ok just to listen too. Come on out and meet the up-and-coming folk and traditional music bands on the local music scene.
At the hosted jams, hosts are there to encourage musicians to pick a song or start a song and to make sure that everyone gets an opportunity to participate. In addition, hosts bring their own unique flare to the jam.
Our popular Band Scramble gives musicians and dancers of all levels a chance to be a Main Stage Performer at the Albuquerque Folk Festival.
Participation is the name of the game at our wide variety of music and song workshops. Bring an acoustic musical instrument and/or your singing voice and join the fun.
Hear a wonderful tale from some of our best local storytellers.
While all of our workshops are open to participants of all ages, sessions at the Children's Tent are tailored to get kids and families started enjoying home made music.