We're working on 2017 information.
We're back at last year's location: The Albuquerque International Ballooon Museum. We're busy planning what should be the best Albuquerque Folk Festival yet, with camping and jamming Friday and Saturday nights, and entertainment, workshops, and dancing all day Saturday, June 3. As soon as we have final information, we'll put it up here. In the meantime, we've left the 2016 information up so you can get a feel for the fun you'll have at the Albuquerque Folk Festival.
What can kids do at the Folk Festival?
- Back Again! Come early! Giant Puppets! Sunny Birkland and the Puppet Playhouse's giant puppets will be wandering the Festival grounds from 10:00 am to 12:00 pm. So don't be late!
- Back Again! Play all kinds of musical instruments at Planet Music.
- Back Again! The Music Guild of New Mexico will have a musical petting zoo featuring symphonic instruments.
- Back Again! Peter and the Wolf! Head over to the Storytelling tent for an introduction to orchestral instruments through this classic tale.
- Dance! We‘ll dance at the Children's Tent but kids are also welcome to join us at the Dance workshops with two different kinds of dance to try every hour.
- Play in a band! For kids of all ages. Must sign up by 3:30 pm at the Information Table. Get your assigned band and practice area at 4:15 pm. Our popular Band Scramble gives musicians and dancers of all ages and levels a chance to be a Main Stage Performer at the Albuquerque Folk Festival.
- Sing and dance throughout the day at the Children's Tent, with a full day of activities just for kids! This year, we even have a magical experience.
Festival Director Gary Libman's grandson Miles has never missed an Albuquerque Folk Festival since he's been born. Join Miles and hundreds of other kids at this year's ABQ FOLK FEST!
There's tons of stuff for kids at the Folk Festival (just ask Miles). Kids are always welcome at the music and dance workshops, there's a special venue for storytelling, plus there's a tent just for kids. A big thank you to Kris Litchman for organizing and managing the Children's Tent.
Children's Tent Schedule
|10:00 AM||Roadrunner Strummers Ukulele Band||Roadrunner Strummers Ukulele Band|
We'll be playing a variety of songs and tunes for all ages to enjoy.
|10:30 AM||Silly Songs and Singing Games||Kris Litchman|
We'll sing about frogs, fishermen, rabbits, and birds; we'll be singing elephants, rowboats, needle-threaders, and mice; we'll bunny-hop and hokey-pokey; we'll see what else comes along
|11:30 AM||Gardening and Work Songs for the Whole Family||Patty Stephens|
Patty Stephens is a musician with a farming/gardening history. This collection of fun original songs about gardening, weather and farm life mix naturally with the folk songs and work chants of previous generations.
Patty Stephens is a jazz singer, music educator, member of the band The Brazil Project. Above all, she's a singer of songs with a marvelous son and lots of lovely brothers and sisters who all sing too.
|12:30 PM||Fun with Music Together||Sarah Ferrell & Michelle Myers|
Music Together is an internationally recognized music program for children from birth through age 7. In this workshop we will explore tone, rhythm, creative song play and playful movement. Fun for the whole family!
|1:30 PM||Make Music from Scratch||Clifford Johnson|
Learn how much fun it is to make music with simple things, at little expense! Music can be a fun form of recreation.
|2:30 PM||Magic with Howardini||Howard Higgins|
Folk Magic From Around the World. Kids can experience, learn and enjoy participating in folk magic pieces from around the world. This hands-on workshop is an opportunity for the children to play together in a magical themed way, while experiencing and learning about magic from various cultures.
|3:30 PM||Keiki (Hula Dance for Kids)||Cindi Heffner with Ha`aheo O Hawai`i|
Hula is Hawaiian storytelling through dance. Children will learn basic hula foot and hand motions and a simple Hawaiian hula.
|4:30 PM||Reserved for Band Scramble Practice|
Sunny Birklund and the Puppet Playhouse bring fun family entertainment for kids of all ages to the Folk Festival this year. Be on the lookout as their giant puppets make their way around the festival. You and your family and friends are invited to chat with the giant puppets and ask questions, shake hands, share hugs and take photos with silly poses. Let children who aren't quite ready be introduced from the distance and approach when they are confident. The puppets will be strolling the festival grounds from 10 am to 12 pm. Don't miss them!