How YOU can help the festival
At the Albuquerque Folk Festival, Volunteers do everything!
The Festival is produced and presented by approximately 700 volunteers. About 120 of those produce the Festival and accomplish such tasks as setup, workshops, ticket handling, sound, raffles, photography, logistics, etc. Committees do all the preparation and follow-up including planning, performances, fundraising, web pages, programs, recruiting, decorations, etc., etc., and we are always looking for help in these areas, and more activities as well.
Work requirements vary, but generally you will be asked to work at least three hours (but we'll let you work more if you want!) at the Festival -or- become a committee member. A committee member is part of the pre-event planning team - a "Key" volunteer (manager). But remember that committees begin far in advance of the festival and require varied hours. If this is of interest, please contact the responsible individual/function you will find on our "Contacts" web page.
In return for volunteering, you get free entrance to the Festival, a Folk Festival T-Shirt, all concerts and activities, and an invitation to the Post Festival Party and Jam.
If you have volunteered in the last 3 years, your contact information is still in our database, so there is no need to fill out the form. Otherwise, if you're interested, please fill out the form below and we'll get in touch with you. If you have questions, please call Bill Miller (Volunteer coordinator) at 505-615-7692 or e-mail . .
We're Currently Looking for:
- Our breakdown manager needs help. The effort is gathering signage & transporting to a central site, restoring interior rooms in the museum to their original state and general clean-up. There will be need for volunteers when the workshop tents close down Ð circa 6 PM, and at the end of the evening, doing the same sort of functions for the rest of the area.
- We have a new “floating volunteer” manager this year and she needs help!! This is a critical need and we need quality people that we can depend on! Let me know if you can be a volunteer for her. This will require that you have a cell phone, have it with you Saturday, have it turned on, and be willing to perform the function of another volunteer that at the last moment had to cancel. We try to divide the day into 2 parts and schedule floaters for each part, so tell me which you prefer.
- A new position this year is tent side rolling. These individuals should be moderately tall and somewhat athletic. Their job is to lower tent sides when sunshine is making the seating uncomfortable, and raise them when the sun is on the other side of the tent.
- The Band Scramble crew needs volunteers to assist with acquiring individuals that wish to participate and then assisting with directing them to and from their respective practice tents and the main performing tent.
- Our recycling manager could always use additional help. Our efforts have received recognition within the city and the procedures are being adopted for other events!!!
- Our jamming tent manager needs assistance. The person would assist in the orderly exit of the previous jamming group, and the corresponding entrance of the next one. They would also introduce the next host (no microphone – just introduce/welcome them and maybe offer a tidbit of information the host might provide). There are 15 ‘jam hours’ total between the 2 tents. 3 are already taken by one person, so we need 4 more people.
- Let me know if you wish to assume a little more challenging volunteer role. The nice thing about this is that your efforts are usually accomplished prior to the festival, which means you can enjoy the full day of the festival without interruption. If interested, please contact Rachel Zuback.